What purpose does a candle serve? We all know that candles were once a necessity back in the days before the invention of electricity. There was once upon a time when most households actually made their own candles for their source of light.
Nowadays, candles serve different purposes.
5. Symbol of worship in church ~ Today, the use of candles for religious services is still much the same as it was before there was electricity in every household.
4. Decoration & celebration ~ Candles make beautiful centerpieces in the home and for parties. They are often given as house-warming gifts and do tend to give rooms a more "homey" feel. And what do we place on top of birthday cakes? Before the cake is served, a common tradition is to sing happy birthday to the guest of honor while they make a wish and blow out the candles.
3. Relaxation ~ Imagine taking a nice relaxing soak in the tub at the end of a long, stressful day. You've got the warm water, bubbles, soft music, and maybe a glass of wine. What's missing? Candles! Candles add to the relaxing atmosphere and help you unwind with their soft glow. Choice of fragrance is an added bonus as there are fragrances such as lavender that help relieve stress.
2. Smelling good ~ I love to light a candle after I clean my house. It's the perfect finishing touch. I will often light one in every room as I finish up and move on to the next. Someone once told me that real estate agents often light candles during open houses. Like I said before, the ambiance of a burning candle gives a "homey" vibe.
1. Emergency ~ It is always a good idea to have candles and matches on hand in case of a power outage. We can never find our flashlights when we need them or the batteries are usually dead.
What are your reasons for using a candle?